Frequently Asked Questions
AOAC members get access to lower registration rates. Click here to view all the registration rates.
The first 20 Young Scientists/Students that sign up will receive free attedance to the full conference.
A guest is a spouse/friend/significant other of a presenter/speaker. Someone not in the field of analytical chemistry/microbiology but solely at the Conference to support a speaker. Not a business associate, staff colleague or fellow student.
Guest registration Includes
- Entry into the exhibit hall
- Welcome Reception
- Conference refreshments and lunches
- Conference Closing Dinner
Any cancellation or alteration of your registration must be notified by e-mail to the conference secretary: email@example.com and the followings conditions will apply:
- In the event of cancellation by participants after 10 March, no refund will be given.
- Please remember that cancelling your registration does not automatically cancel your hotel and travel arrangements. Attendees are responsible for cancelling their own hotel and travel reservations.
- Substitutions from within the same organization are permitted up to five days before the event, and will not incur an administrative fee.
Click here for information and the link to the AOAC room block at the Emperors Palace Hotels. We highly encourage all attendees to book at the official meeting hotel!
View the full Schedule at a Glance.
Situated next to OR Tambo International airport, Emperors Palace is home to where royalty rest their heads and fortune favours the brave. Offering decadent accommodation in four unique hotels, a glorious health and beauty spa, a magnificent casino with unparalleled gaming enjoyment, the finest dining options, spectacular entertainment choices, world class conference facilities, and impeccable service, this is YOUR Empire to discover.
Major international credit cards such as American Express, Diners Club, Mastercard, Visa and their affiliates are accepted in South Africa
The unit of currency in South Africa is the South African Rand (ZAR) and is indicated with a capital R so that, for example, three Rand and fifty cents would be written R3.50. South Africa has a decimal currency system with one Rand equalling 100 cents. Denomination of Rand notes are R200, R100, R50, R20, and R10 and of the coins are R5, R2, R1, 50c, 20c and 10c.
The following exchange rates were applicable as of 20 February 2023:
|1 United States Dollar = ZAR 18.13||1 Euro = ZAR 19.37|
Facilities for cashing traveller’s cheques are available at banks (operating hours are Monday to Friday 09h00 – 15h30, Saturdays 08h30 – 11h00) and at most hotels. Banks are closed on Sundays. Foreign exchange agencies are open during the week and on Saturdays. Automatic teller machines (ATM) are open 24 hours and are located at most banks as well as at the conference Venue. International credit cards (Visa, Diners Club, MasterCard, and American Express) are accepted at most hotels, restaurants, and shops.
VAT / Tax Refunds
VAT of 15% is levied on nearly all goods and services. Foreign tourists may claim back VAT paid on goods or products (not services) that will be taken out of the country. Original tax invoices, foreign passport, plus all the items on which a refund is claimed, must be presented at the VAT Refund Administration Office or an appointed RSA Customs and Excise Official on departure, and the total VAT on these items will be refunded.
Most international traveler’s checks are accepted provided they are in an acceptable currency and may be cashed at most banks. Many hotels and shops also provide this service.
220/230 volts AC at 50 cycles per second. Three pronged plugs are universal, so take an adapter. Most hotel rooms have 110-volt outlets for electric shavers and small appliances.
Every visitor to South Africa must have a valid passport.
- Passengers travelling to South Africa must be in possession of a passport with two unused pages required for endorsements. The two unused pages when presented for purposes of endorsing a port of entry visa, visa, permanent residence permit, or entry of departure stamp.
- The passport must be machine readable however, the foreigner may be admitted into or depart from South Africa with a non-machine-readable passport provided that:
- He or she is from a foreign country that is issuing machine readable passports and has not completely phased out the non-machine-readable passports; and
- Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after your intended date of departure.
Passport holders from more than 80 countries, including USA, Canada, UK, Japan, and the EU can visit South Africa without a visa. A list of countries that currently do not require a visa can be found at the SA Government website:
Information regarding visas can be obtained from your travel agent or the South African diplomatic or consular representative in your area. Delegates requiring visas, and who intend taking tours to neighbouring Southern African countries, are advised to secure a multiple entry visa. Tourists must satisfy immigration officers that they have the means of support for the duration of their stay in the country and return /onward tickets. Visas cannot be obtained on arrival.
If required, upon request, the Summit Secretariat is willing to send you a letter of invitation. It should be understood, that this letter will be sent only to help participants to raise travel funds or to obtain a visa. A letter of invitation is not a commitment on the part of the organisers to provide any financial support. Please note that only registered delegates who have paid their Summit registration fees will be issued with a letter of invitation.